North West Side
Belmont Cragin remained rural until 1882 when Cragin Brothers & Company, an iron processing plant, moved into the area. Job opportunities and rail service brought about a housing boom and an influx of settlers. Residents soon saw another boom when more factories in the 1920s were established in the area.
The housing needs escalated, leading to the erection of bungalows, Cape Cods, and two-flats. The area continued to develop into the Post War years with the Chicago Transit Authority extension of its Belmont Street bus service and into the 1970s with continued construction of shopping malls and businesses.
The Hispanic population also quadrupled from 1980 to 1990. Many Polish immigrants and businesses came to the area during these years. The area experienced a drop in manufacturing employment and a decline in retail activity in the 1980s due to shutting down of various plants. Residents organized home reinvestment and commercial development campaigns to confront the issues of unemployment and rising poverty.
For the Lord is a God of justice . . . - Isaiah 30:18
information courtesy of Moody Publishers
"Chicago Neighborhood Prayer Guide" by Dr. John Fuder with Elizabeth Koenig