Europe

Pray for Luxembourg

Learn more

Prayer Points

  1. Pray for the power of the living Christ to triumph over materialistic ritual.
  2. Pray for the Word to be quickly available in Lëtzebeurgesch.
  3. Pray for healing of suspicious attitudes toward evangelicals.

Let us know you prayed today

Join the Circle of Prayer This Month

About Luxembourg

From the glorious mountain of Buurgplaatz to the serene flood plains of Moselle, the Western European nation of Luxembourg is quaint and picturesque. The last remaining Grand duchy in the world, Luxembourg was founded in 963 A.D.  Bordered by Belgium, France, and Germany, Luxembourg gained full independence from the Netherlands in 1867. During both World Wars this small, independent nation was overtaken and occupied by Germany, and the infamous Battle of the Bulge was fought on Luxembourgish soil in 1944-45. Today Luxembourg is a member of the European Union and home to more than 500,00 people.

A prosperous nation with a steady economy and low-unemployment rate, Luxembourg boasts a large work force in the financial and banking services industries. The nation did suffer from the global economic crisis in 2009 but remained one of the least affected members of the European Union. Food in Luxembourg is inspired by both German and French cuisine. With exception to immigrants, nearly all of the Luxembourgish population is tri-lingual, speaking Letzeburgesch, German, and French.

Roman Catholics make up 87% of the population, yet only a handful attends mass on a regular basis; it is tradition rather than a heart felt commitment that is holding the people of Luxembourg to their Catholic heritage. The other 13% includes an array of religions from atheism to Islam, however, the greatest obstacle to salvation in Luxembourg is that people are comfortable, living in materialistic abundance. The people are leery of anything that might compromise their affluent living standard. Due to widespread secularism and humanism, evangelicals are perceived as a cult, making it difficult to rent church buildings and to find other resources necessary for discipleship. There is a great need for God to soften the hearts of the people of Luxembourg so they may be receptive to the Gospel message and discover the eternal treasure who is Christ Jesus.

Population

639,589

Population in unreached people Groups

0.5%

Population

639,589

Major People Groups
  • Other
  • Luxemburger
  • French
  • Portuguese
  • German
  • Fleming
Population in unreached people Groups

0.5%

Religions
  • Christian
  • Agnostic
  • Muslim
  • Atheist

10:59 PM

  • Capital City

    Luxembourg

  • Government

    Constitutional monarchy

  • Language

    Luxembourgish, French, Portuguese, German, Vlaams

  • GDP Per Capita

    $110,300

  • Literacy Rate

    100%

Thanks for praying

If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it. —John 14:14

Help support Prayercast

Donate