North West Side
Learn to do good, seek justice...defend the orphan; plead for the widow. - Isaiah 1:17
Irving Park began as a commuter suburb, with “shady streets, fine schools, churches and stores” attracting many rich and middle-class Protestants. Following annexation to Chicago in 1889, public transportation was established and streets were reconstructed, leading to an influx of new residents and a dramatic shift in housing composition.
Well known for its past and present ties to preserving historic housing buildings, Irving Park neighborhoods are known for having notable architecture: the bungalows of the Villa District, Victorian and Italianate houses of Old Irving Park, and vintage homes in Independence Park. Two associations were formed in the 1980s for the preservation of neighborhood houses and notable landmarks.
Irving Park’s population grew between 1980 and 2000, but has since begun a slow decline. During that time the Hispanic population grew from nine percent to forty-six percent, including immigrants from places throughout Central and South America.
information courtesy of Moody Publishers
"Chicago Neighborhood Prayer Guide" by Dr. John Fuder with Elizabeth Koenig