Far Southwest Side
Always seek after that which is good for one another...pray without ceasing.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:15,17
The middle-class status of Morgan Park was strengthened with the development of main-line Protestant churches that were established in the mid-1800s. Although Morgan Park became a prominently white Anglo-Saxon Protestant community, there was also a small settlement of African Americans living in the area, segregated to the east side of Vincennes.
Although the number of African Americans living in Morgan Park continued to increase through 1920, the community was geographically divided. There was a “common understanding” that African Americans were not to live west of Vincennes Road.
Racial integration did not begin to occur until the late 1960s, which was even more challenging due to the development of Interstate 57, which further isolated the black community. Between 1969 and 1974, four hundred “section 235” subsidized housing units were constructed. To this day, Morgan Park has worked to keep public schools integrated and shopping strips strengthened, and is also home to the Walker Branch Library, and the Beverly Arts Center.
information courtesy of Moody Publishers
"Chicago Neighborhood Prayer Guide" by Dr. John Fuder with Elizabeth Koenig