Far Southwest Side
They may on account of your good deeds . . . glorify God. - 1 Peter 2:12
Beverly is a racially integrated neighborhood, home to one of the most stable middle-class residential districts in Chicago. Initially part of Washington Heights, Beverly was eventually annexed to Chicago in 1890, but its population was sparse for several decades.
The community symbolized upward social mobility for European immigrants and later for Irish Roman Catholics and African Americans who migrated into the region. The community is primarily suburban in nature, further reinforced by Ridge Park. Consequently, housing consisted mostly of units for single families.
In the 1920s, Irish Catholic and German Lutheran migrants established churches and schools. By 1948, Catholics became the largest denomination in Beverly. Beverly’s population increased dramatically following World War II, mostly due to racial changes in neighborhoods like Englewood, Normal Park, and South Shore. In recent years, Beverly has experienced a slow decline in population and increased ethnic diversity.
information courtesy of Moody Publishers
"Chicago Neighborhood Prayer Guide" by Dr. John Fuder with Elizabeth Koenig